Saturday, August 17, 2013

Get to Know Me: 100 Things About Me

Hey everyone,

I saw my dear friend friend and amazing blogger Katie at Lovely Lady do this tag and I enjoyed reading her's so much, I wanted to do it too! Without further ado.

1) I used to want braces. I'd take rubber-bands or un-kink paper clips to wear across my teeth when I was a very tiny child. What I didn't realize as a Midwestern toddler was that I didn't want braces, what I really wanted was a 'grille'.

2) I think S'mores are God's reminder to be happy and appreciate the little things.

3) I love Mexican food (and indeed, all food in general) but I hate onions and cilantro so every time I go to a Mexican restaurant I spend twenty minutes denuding my food of the hateful duo.

4) I never know the lyrics to songs. I know all the lyrics to about four songs total and one of those is Happy Birthday. And to be honest, I have to stop and think about those lyrics too. This doesn't stop me from singing, I just make up my own lines. For years I thought it was love potion of the night, not love potion #9. Which really, I think my title makes more sense.

5) I have never not had a dog. I came home from the hospital to two dogs, and I've been a doggy companion ever since :) and general animal fan.

6) I hate hot drinks - I like coffee/hot coco/tea, but only lukewarm.

7) I am a HUGE film buff - especially old movies and action films. I usually know every actor and can name half the films they've been in.

8) I love to bake.

9) One of my biggest pet peeves is when the bathroom stall door isn't hung correctly. You're paid to work in construction! How hard is it to make sure I don't have to hold the door closed while I pee?

10) Speaking of construction, I'm actually quite handy with power tools.

11) If I could only buy 5 fashion/beauty related items for the rest of my life it would be: Jeans, boots, button down shirts, eye shadow and purses. I really hope someone would give me a coat for winter or I'd be SOL.

12) I was home schooled my entire life.

13) I have a really interesting family history that I won't get into now. Which makes this a very pointless fact. It's there though.

14) While I'm good at multi-tasking, I really prefer to focus on one thing at a time. I'd rather spend time with one close friend than a group. I do enjoy parties and family get-together's - I just don't like groups of my close friends where I can't really pay attention the way each friend deserves. I'm even that way with my food - for example I don't like ala mode. I want ice cream or dessert. I prefer to focus on one thing at a time when I can :)

15) 4th of July is my favorite holiday. Then Christmas and Easter. I hate Halloween, New Year's and Valentine's Day. I'm a patriotic curmudgeon!

16) I am a huge Star Wars fan. In fact I am a huge SFF fan in general.

17) I love KISS, Alice Cooper, Ozzy Osborne, Guns N' Roses, Michael Buble, Neon Trees, The Civil Wars, Jimmy Dorsey, Ella Fitzgerald, Pitbull...My music taste is eclectic.

18) I love to dance and I'm currently taking a belly dance class.

19) I collect Hot Wheels (the little cars little boys play with - yes) and Just the Right Shoe (the little shoes women play with - yes) both make me happy :)

20) I count potato chips as a veggie and ice cream as a dairy. Tongue in cheek of course. Mostly.

21) I taught myself how to knit and play chess. I'm (slowly!) teaching myself  how to play the guitar and French. I've been working on that for about five years now.

22) I've taken ice skating class, horseback riding class, archery class, target practice, personal investment, song writing, history of rock, motorcycle class, computer class and swim class. In addition to regular schooling obviously :)

23) I'm definitely a bit of an odd duck. I'm corny and hokey and quirky and any other word you can think of.

24) I'm a good driver and I rarely get lost, but I take the wrong exit half the time when I'm someplace new. Like people count on me taking the wrong exit in a new place.

25) I don't have any tattoos.

26) I love to garden.

27) My family is the number one thing in my life. And most of my close friends are like family to me too, so I guess you could say people are the number one thing I my life. And oh, I count my dogs as family too. Animals lovers will understand!

28) I have owned both crocs and uggs. And I still think I can write a blog on fashion and beauty! I must be crazy :p

29) My lucky number is 13. I like having something that is considered to be unlucky by most.

30) I have a goal to read everything written by Stephen King (close), to see every movie Johnny Depp has been in (close) and to watch everything Tim Burton has created (close)

31) Johnny Depp is my favorite actor. Seann William Scott is my celeb crush. Angelina Jolie, Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence are my favorite actresses.

32) Jim Butcher is my favorite author.

33) I have a pinterest board filled with guys I think are cute. I'm not shallow, I just appreciate the view :)

34) My dream since I was two years old has been to own my own home.

35) Pink or cream peonies are my favorite flowers. Closely followed by dandelions and hydrangeas.

36) I don't like swimming in water I can't see in.

37) Ed Hardy is the unequivocal fashion choice of douche-bags everywhere, but to be truthful, I still kind of like his (unblinged) art work. I like the old sailor Jerry inspired tattoo art and while I wouldn't get the ink, I admire the art. So I still wear some of my favorite things from him - if slightly cringing at the thought that people think I'm unaware of who his followers are.

38) I read the last Harry Potter in under four hours.

39) I think black lipstick can look high fashion in the right circumstances.

40) We're all mad here.

41) I went deep sea fishing and discovered while I'm great in 4 1/2 foot swells, I cannot handle a 'calm' sea. Go figure.

42) I love watching sports. I like football and baseball, but I am a gigantic basketball fan. I never played on a team since I'm practically pocket sized, have an insurmountable inability to jump and am so aggressive a player I'd be fouled out in the first two minutes, but I am a great fan!

43) If I could be a mythical creature I would definitely be a mermaid. Or a siren. They're pretty much the same thing in most myths.

44) Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie and I totally identified with Belle. Still do in fact. Book worms who don't fit in - unite!

45) I'd like to someday restore a vintage Stingray Corvette.

46) I have a very long list of goals/dreams/hopes/plans that few of the people who know me have any idea about.

47) I tend to be pigeon holed and overlooked. People who should know better think I'm a push-over, or dumb, or provincial. They don't realize I'm just not bothering to share who I am with them. I'm trying to work on this.

48) I'm very proud that this list hasn't evolved into a list of foods I love.

49) When I was little I was OBSESSED with prehistoric times, Egypt, and the Greek and Roman Empires. I'd make my mom read to mnne about Homo Sapiens in National Geographic while she was at the salon getting her hair or nails done.

50) I started talking at six weeks old. And have yet to shut up. My first words were "Good girl." I was talking to the dog.

51) My mom would read Sherlock Holmes to me when I was a toddler. And Agatha Christie. And a ton of other classic mystery writers.

52) I had a very liberal arts and classically trained education. Besides the basics, I had a heavy blend of classic literature, an in-depth study of history, theology, philosophy, and classic theater, such as Stoppard, Miller, Shakespeare and Wilder.

53) Huge book worm. This bears repeating. And I like reading classic poetry aloud to myself. Well, my dog seems to really enjoy it too. At least he likes falling asleep to it.

54) I'm not all that afraid of snakes or spiders - I don't love them per say, but if they leave me alone, I'm happy to do the same. I hate vermin though.

55) I've never left the country (yet) but I've traveled all over the USA by myself.

56) I have a talent with hummingbirds - as I write this there are several a few feet away from me. They like my 'special blend' of hummingbird feed. Basically I put so much sugar in they become addicted. All of them seem happy and healthy though!

57) I got my ears pierced when I was eleven and have not gotten anything else pierced in the time since then.

58) My first celeb crush was Pierce Brosnan. And Sean Connery. And Shamar Moore. I was still a toddler. I'm no longer a toddler and they're still scorchingly hot. Though the Highlander and The Avengers dimmed Connery's light a little.

59)  Even years when I get 'big' gifts, I still get the most excited over my stocking at Christmas time. And I demanded that Easter baskets become a tradition again. So what if I'm an adult. It's debatable anyway and they're fun.

60) I love thrift stores. They're my favorite places to shop. I mean, I like Saks and Nordstrom too, but it's not nearly as much fun as hunting through a thrift store. And I save a ton of money. Win-Win.

61) Wow, why did I pick a 100? That seems both vain and fool hardy at this point. I'm committed though.

62) I love working around the house - but I hate mowing the lawn.

63) I also detest pumping gas.

64) I have a cycle of youtube, instagram, buzzfeed. I just go from one to the other. With occasional stops here, facebook, textsfromlastnight.com (it's like junk food and trash tv in one) and candy land. This is what keeps me from sleeping most of the time.

65) If it's not the above cycle keeping me up, it's a book. I am one of those people - I start reading and it's 4 am before I stop. And I only stop because I finished the damn book. I have a problem. I am a bibliophile.

66) I love kitschy things. Not overboard, like I wouldn't have a Rte 66 themed kitchen (if you do, that's awesome though) but I would totally take a Saturday and go drive historic Rte 66 and maybe stop at a drive-in diner kind of kitsch.

67) I like hot weather over cold.

68) I'm really loud. I talk loudly, I laugh loudly, I walk in a loud manner. It's not that I want to, I mean I feel kinda embarrassed by it usually, but I can't help it.

69) I like silver toned jewelry (this includes platinum) over gold. And I'm not a huge fan of precious stones, I really prefer semi-precious.

70) I only want to live in a brick or stone house. I want to be prepared in case of fire. Or zombie attacks.

71) I love kids. Really and truly. I love baby sitting my friends' children. Or giving tours to 100+ school kids. It's all fun, even when the kids are acting up, I still don't mind.

72) I hate most cheeses. Unless it's a mild white ala mozzarella or brie, keep it away from me. That rhymed.

73) I love Christmas lights and fairy lights. I have an obsession with lighting in general, as a matter of fact. I think one of the most beautiful things in the world, is the sight of the old-fashioned, big, brightly colored bulbs on the surface of a lake.

74) I'm pretty sure I'm going to sputter out at about 76 and this is going to become the "76 things about me" tag.

75) My first rated R movie (that I remember) was Braveheart. I loved that film and told my mom all the blood "was only Ketchup"

76) I've never sung Karaoke. I can't say I'm overly upset by this.

77) I don't drink, do drugs, sleep around, or smoke. Contrary to popular belief this does not make me boring or make me judgmental of others.

78) I hate intolerance and cruelty more than anything.

79) One of my best friends got me a pack of cards for Christmas once. Each of the cards has a swear word in English with a list of the same word in five other languages underneath it. It's still one of my favorite gifts ever.

80) I love the 80's TV shows 'Remington Steele' and 'Moonlighting'. Remington (Pierce Brosnan)  is better looking and suave, but I find David (Bruce Willis) hotter :)

81) I've tried to cut out TV from my day to day life, so the only things I watch anymore is NCIS and NCIS: LA. Ok, so probably the only person you know who watches them is your dad, but I find them to be awesome :)

82) I've never really played video games. The last video games I played were Lara Croft and Donkey Kong. When they were still pretty new.

83) Yankee Candle's Maple candle is like nirvana in a glass container.

84) I stored almost all of my dolls and stuffed toys when I "grew up" but I still have one stuff animal that stays on my bed and I have a stuffed Gene Simmons doll (complete with silver lamé boots and sewn on chest hair), a stuffed R2-D2 and a stuffed basketball.

85) My decorating style is very rustic/reclaimed/romantic but among all the girly (pink walls, cream lace, etc) there are some quirky things hidden in there. Like stuffed kiss dolls and - I'm counting what I can see in the room-8 star wars things. I may have to do a room tour someday. Love me or hate me, you can't say it isn't unique :)

86) I like cemeteries. I like to go for walks in them. They're peaceful, filled with history, tell a lot about human nature and I feel like maybe the inhabitants like the company.

87) I love going to the theater. Most especially musical theater. I do attend the occasional serious play - Death of a Salesman with Brian Dennehy was particularly good, but not as awesome as Rock of Ages live.

88) I love valley girl movies from the 80's. Like 'Valley Girl' with Nick Cage and 'Earth Girls Are Easy' with Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum. Great films, no. Highly entertaining however.


89) I'm extremely ticklish. Don't abuse this knowledge, please.  


90) Pearl is probably my favorite color. 


91) I used to love those quizzes you'd get in your email or the ones on the internet. I've *ahem* changed so much. 


92) I love decorative storage boxes. Even though I'm really trying to de-clutter my life so theoretically I wouldn't need to store as much, I'm genuinely obsessed with them.


93) I love rollercoasters. Especially the loopy ones. The ones that just go fast do nothing for me, except cause me to have serious difficulty in containing my saliva. TMI. 


94) I saw a pig race for the first time last year. I cheered them - loudly. They race for Oreos. It was a life changing experience.


95) I -not all that uniquely- text a lot. I just don't text a lot of people. I have my inner circle. When someone from outside that circle texts me I'm all like 


96) I hate cotton balls. Something about the sound/texture of those little buggers makes my skin crawl.

97) I'm a pretty private person by nature. Being this open/honest is really hard for me. I always want to hide who I am so I don't get hurt. I want to be 100% myself and honest here though, even if it's extremely difficult!

98) I am more mechanical than technical. Which means I can probably build you something or help you fix your house, but I am at a loss on a computer. I'm trying, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I have to seriously look stuff up on the internet and check books out of the library to figure this stuff out. I'd like my blog to be more advanced, but I really have no clue how to make it so. New project, I'm trying to figure out how to link my favorite bloggers on my site so it will go to their's. It took me half a day to figure out how to edit a movie and I'm relatively intelligent!

99) I love writing letters, real stationary and leather journals.

100) I love meeting and talking to new people. Really, really as Shrek would say :)

Thanks for reading this - if you made it all the way through, I very much appreciate it! I hope it was entertaining and I would love to hear something about YOU :)

Best wishes,

Elisabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment