Monday, November 4, 2013

Too Faced Joy to the Girls Eye Shadow Palette 2013 Holiday Collection Review and Swatches. HD Photos and Video!

***UPDATE***
After having the palette and using it daily for a week or so, so I could try out every single eye shadow, I ended up returning the palette. While I LOVED the colors (and packaging!) and some of the shades were amazing, several of the shades (such as Prancer, Sugar Plum and Yule Log) were completely unusable. They swatched beautifully, but did not wear well AT ALL. Even over primer they'd crease (horribly) and my biggest peeve - and what prompted me to return it- was if you tried to apply some of the shades, you first had to build up like crazy (hello fallout city!) and if you tried to build it DISAPPEARED. Completely. I was really sad to return this; it was an early birthday gift and I was super happy to get it. I posted an originally positive review due to the fact that some of the shades were excellent (snow angel, mulberry, cookie dough come to mind) and created beautiful looks. As a disclaimer I swatched all the shades and wore several before giving my review, and I stand by that portion. In the interest of the holiday season I wanted to post my review in a timely fashion, so I didn't wait to wear ALL the shades. I've learned my lesson and in the future I will wait to wear all shades first. I hope this helps! Honesty is my #1 goal, and trying to help people so I had to update my review.

Best wishes,

Elisabeth

Hey Everyone,

I know it's a bit early - but I'm already gearing up for Christmas and New Year's - I'm prepared to sacrifice Thanksgiving to get there. 

In keeping with this mad dash towards the holidays, my wonderful family gave me an early birthday gift (December baby over here!) and it is the Too Faced Joy to the Girls Eye Shadow Palette from the 2013 Holiday Collection. I love it! Listed below is an in-depth review on each shade, the packaging, price, ideas for looks, and my general thoughts on the palette. I also filmed a review video with live and finished swatches, as well as a makeup tutorial using this palette! Please feel free to leave thoughts or questions below, I always answer back!

Best wishes
<3 & :)
Talktoyoulaterloveyoubye

Elisabeth


Packaging:
Cardboard material. Thicker and taller than the average palette. Slightly bulky and impractical for travelling/storage. Magnetic closure. Gold polka dots on an aqua background. Pattern design by celeb. decorator Mary McDonald.



Price
$46 dollars. $275.00 value.

Available:
Wherever Too Faced is sold!

Shades:
Cookie Dough: Matte light brown with warm undertones. Opaque, blendable and the perfect transition color.
Cheers: Metallic Mauve with micro-shimmer. Opaque, blendable and a lovely lid color. 
Prancer: Glittery bronze gold. Chunkier formula and harder to apply. Some fall out. Beautiful color though.
Sugar Plum: Plum with gray undertones and silver glitter. Opaque, beautiful color for the outer third of the eye. Glitter kind of disappears when applied though.
Mulberry: Darker matte brown with reddish-purple undertones. Pigmented, smooth and a wonderful crease color.
Snow Angel: Matte vanilla cream. Pigmented, smooth and creamy, perfect base and highlight color.
Powdered Sugar: Matte nude with pink undertones. Pigmented, blendable and a great base/highlight shade.
Too Too: Girly pink with iridescent shimmer glitter. Fairly opaque, but another one where the glitter seems to vanish when applied to the lid.
Yule Log: Rich chocolate brown with loads of bronze shimmer glitter. Opaque and easy to blend, but the glitter vanishes when applied. WTH??
Chestnut: Medium cocoa brown with micro-frost. Easy to blend and great for a lid color or as a transition color. 
Twinkle: Metallic old gold. Fairly opaque and a beautiful lid color for an evening out or the holiday season.
Joy: Aqua pool blue with micro-pearl frost. Opaque and easy to blend. Great color for the lid or as an inner highlight.
Spike the Punch: Baby pink with golden micro-shimmer. Great as a highlight or for a subtle hint of shimmer on the lid.
Chimney: Slate color with a beautiful blue-grey sheen. Opaque and blendable. Very versatile color, can be used on the crease, lid, to deepen up a look or as a liner.
Coal: Matte black with grey-brown undertones. Fairly opaque and easy to blend. 










The palette comes with:
Three look idea cards.
One full-sized LashGasm mascara.

Mascara:
Personally not my favorite. I found the formula to be a bit tacky and cause my lashes to stick together. It's an obvious looking mascara. 




Overall thoughts:
On the whole, I'm very happy with the palette. Over primer the shadows last all day with no problems or creasing. Almost every shadow is a hit and it gives you a huge range of looks to create. A good blend of mattes, shimmers and glitters. Lots of neutrals and every day colors, as well as a couple of fun shades and party ready shades. 

Don't Forget to Check Out my video review and Makeup Tutorial!!! Thanks! :)

Makeup Tutorial

Review









No comments:

Post a Comment